Monday 20 July 2009

Day 15. Job Done!


What a few days we have had! I think I may have made myself, temporarily, the most disliked man on tour! People were tired, sick, fed-up and still I had to push them on to Lukla. Poor David got really sick. He, Breck and Wes suffered a great deal. Between them though with Markby and Nick they trudged heroically at the back to keep up with us. An amazing effort. Next up Joe came down with it. Not sure how he made it back, but with Ian and Cuzza’s support he did. I have to say I am proud of everyone for just gritting their teeth and getting the job done. There were some flashes of selfishness, but that is inevitable. However, there were also moments of outright selflessness and that is inspiring to see.

On the night of day 13 a few of us had to walk in pitch darkness as we helped an exhausted Jules and Joe into Namche Bazarre. However, the comradary was a wonderful thing. For me personally I felt that the trip back tested my resolve and belief in my decisions. I believe that I made the right decision though as we are now safely back in Kathmandu, with all our kit intact and we now have days and nights here to relax, eat and recover. I think people will come to forgive me!

I have to say that we have been so fortunate, with the weather first of all, but also in our choice of Trekking Company. Peace Nepal Treks have been spectacular. I went with my gut when I selected them, and it was the right call. All the guides, cooks and porters were phenominal, but in particular, Mr Nir Lama (the owner) has been a true God-send, and I am ever indebted to him for his tennacity, pride in his work, loyalty, patience, resourcefulness and kindness. Thanks so much Nir!

I love this City and am looking forward to hanging out here with this bunch of legends!

Last night in Lukla was a very special time. A few more people became ill, and that is a shame. The rest of us though had celebrations. Wes and I walked into Lukla together, as is fitting. On the main street, outside a bar the rest were gathered with beers. We got clapped in and soaked with beer. We made it! Cue hugging and general love-fest. Brilliant!

Hopefully there’ll be more of that tonight.

No comments: